Image via Gimme Some Oven
When I cook — which is rare — I gravitate toward whatever takes the least prep time. And, since pretty much any meat and sauce can be combined in a slow cooker and the meat will come out tender, flavorful and delicious, the five “recipes” below have become some of my favorites. I make these at the beginning of the week and use them in (lettuce) tacos and salads all week long (and usually freeze some for later).
Here’s what I’ve been eating this winter:
1. Rick’s Beef Barbacoa
This is my go-to meal when I’m having friends over during the week because it gets rave reviews every time. If I’m not trying to stick as strictly to paleo, this beef tastes GREAT with goat cheese.
- 2-3 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 package Frontera barbacoa sauce
Place beef in slow cooker and pour barbacoa sauce over them. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Beef should pull apart easily with a fork.
2. Beyond Beyond Easy Pulled Pork
I love this recipe, but I generally find that it’s easier to use a pre-made rub than to make one myself. In this case, it turns seven ingredients into one.
- 4-5 lbs pork butt roast (or shoulder)
- A generous amount of this rub (available at Whole Foods and great on chicken and fish!)
- Optional: yellow onion
Cover pork in rub and place in slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3. Salsa Chicken
If the meat or frittata I’m making needs a little more flavor, I reach for whatever salsa happens to be in my refrigerator. This takes that idea a bit further and creates delicious shredded chicken that’s great for tacos or over salad.
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa (of course, I like these)
Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and pour salsa over them. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4. Turkey Chili
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 jar chili starter (all three options are great!)
Put the ground turkey and chili starter in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
5. Mary Kate’s Barbecue Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings or drumsticks
- 1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (or, for a more paleo option, make your own)
Place chicken wings into slow cooker and pour barbecue sauce over them. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
What’s your favorite two-ingredient meal? I’d love to add some new ones to the mix!